According to the International Coaching Federation (ICF) coaching is
partnering with clients in a thought-provoking and creative process that inspires them to maximize their personal and professional potential.
Coaching helps you to identify your goals and then partners with you to create action plans that accomplish them.
Coaching can have a broad scope depending on the duration of the engagement. In one-on-one intimate sessions, your self-awareness will be enhanced, you’ll gain a deeper knowledge of yourself and develop personally through a series of powerful questions.
Coaching Sessions Are:
- Direct, personal, and confidential conversations to uncover then remove any obstacles on the path to achieving your goals.
- Catalysts that can spark change.
- Open and honest. A place where you can explore your innermost thoughts and feelings to discover what “it” is that really stops you. Then choose if you still want to give “it” energy.
- Action-oriented to your goals.
Coaching Sessions Are Not:
- Therapy, consulting or mentoring. While there are a number of similarities between the two disciplines, coaching focuses on the present and how to move forward by taking action to generate results. Therapy focuses on the past and analyses how it affects your present life.
- A place of judgement.
- Where the work is done. You set the ideas in motion in the session, but the work is done in between sessions.